FAIR SKINNED INDIAN GIRLS ARE PROBLEM FREE?

Many of us sympathize with dark-skinned Indian girls - that they are sidelined when it comes to marriage and basically declared unsightly because of their skin tone. White skinned I girls are lucky they say..

Well, I beg to differ. As a fair skinned Indian girl, I have problems for good measure related to my skin color which I, in no way, asked for it.

Well, first of all, if you are a fair Indian girl, dark skinned Indian girls loathe you, to the core. That's because fair girls like me tend to get more attention and most of is unwanted attention, an attention that we would be more than delighted if we could direct it to our dusky counterpart.

Fair skinned Indian girls get more proposals from guys than dark Indian girls and this makes them green with envy and more often than not, they demean the character of such girls - that she's a playgirl, cheap, easy and supercilious, being sour grapes. I am not like that - if only they would accept me as a friend, not a foe.. Trust me, the proposals are annoying in the first place and when guys make such advances, I really wish the earth would open up and swallow me whole. When I reject such proposals, comments like, "She's fair right, so she thinks she's Aishwarya Rai," would tickle my eardrums. I have also received threats that my modesty would be outraged when I decline from being somebody's girlfriend. I seriously fear for my chastity and life.

Next comes the harassment - the stares, the whistling, the cat calls, the following and the unwelcome touches happen as I go about my daily routine. And, if I go to any Indian wedding or wedding dinner, there are always marriage proposals forwarded to my parents afterwards and this is plainly vexing to say the least. It is the perception on both Indian female (especially potential mother-in-laws) and male's behalf that only fair skin is pulchritude - anything lesser than that is substandard. Fair skin Indian girls are considered 'limited edition' that must be grabbed before someone else pre-empts.

Leave society out - even in my family the scenario is such. I was applying some cream on my face after showering one day and my aunt remarked,"You are already white, so why put cream on your face?" I just stood there, rooted to the spot, flabbergasted. 

Another thing in my family is, my dusky elder sister has this notion that our mom and dad love me more than her and this is a constant strife. I am held culpable for my sister's inferiority complex and this really strains our sisterly relationship. 

Sometimes I would feel like pouring tar on myself so that I'll be freed from all this prejudice just like how dark skinned Indian girls apply Fair and Lovely cream on their faces to acquire a light skin tone.

This 2 extremes will only change when the Indian mindset of 'fair is beautiful and dark is ugly' changes. We are a diverse community so please accept every skin color Indians come in. Dark skin is just as beautiful as fair skin. 

And most of all, Indian women are beautiful.

Related articles:
Don't forget to share with your friends and colleagues

Facebook Twitter Google Digg StumbleUpon Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest buffer
You can leave your comments below, in the Comment Section. We like to have a healthy debate here. Please avoid profanity, personal attacks and rouse racial and religious sensitivity. The views of the commentators are not shared by Both Coin. The bottomline is, comment sensibly with relevance to the article.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 

SOCIAL

SEARCH HERE