A LIFE WELL LIVED

My father served with Warren Tea Company from the year 1984. As a young gentleman he would look extremely handsome and charming. I still have no idea what drove my father joining Tea Plantations with the fact my grandfather was drop dead against it. Growing up in the hills of Darjeeling and having studied in the famous Irish School Goethals Memorial School and then moving to Shillong's Edmunds College for his pre-University and University my father had made such positive impacts on his life right from his education to sports. He is a good Footballer and Squash Player. Joining tea didn't mean it was the end of his learning, the moment he joined it he knew life in towns and cities were different from tea gardens. He would have a cook, bearer and chowkidar (security guard) along with malis (gardener) helping him with his house duties while he was doing his round in the gardens (Kamjaari). Having stayed at estates situated near Chabua, Doomdooma and Tingrai my dad passed his days as a bachelor. Not to forget the Club nights and parties which he attended ultimately made him one of the finest in house party organizers. I remember him telling me on how he along with few of his bachelor friends who as well as like my father served in tea organized a party that had 90 guests.

Then came the year 1990, my grandfather was on a lookout for a girl for my father to get married to. After having gone through many matches (those days demand for a tea husband was like demanding for BMWs) he finally found a match suitable for my father. The girl (my mother) was beautiful, talented and well suited for my extremely young and handsome father who was in his late 20's while she was in her mid 20's completed her graduations in Mathematics and then also had a certified course in Classical Music. She is a talented singer and a guitarist and daughter of Asst. Labour Commissioner in Tinsukia that time a small town in Assam. 


So, after having a talk with my maternal grandparents, the match was almost stamped. The first and the last important question my paternal grandfather asked my mother, "Shibani, I hope you are alright with marrying a tea planter, life is not that good as it seems there" and thus came the answer 'Yes' that can either break or join a MAN's heart. Slowly she started seeing a life different from the rest. It was Manju Auntie who was the wife of Ajay Uncle, manager of Deohall Tea Estate who taught my mother the basics of being a TEA WIFE. One had to know the art of everything right from baking and cooking to embroidery and gardening. The house's decoration and the way it was maintained told a lot about the Memsaab (Tea Wife). Finally my mother happened to pass these test of being the perfect tea wife. And I am sure my father was in love with this beautiful wife of his (though he never showed it) for all that she did for my father and the family. My father never put any patriarchal restrictions on my mother that you are not suppose to have your meal before I come. He was somebody who would always tell her have your food if I get late. I think that reflected the caring nature of my father.

Ten days post their marriage they shifted to a garden near Doomdooma, a sleepy little town in Assam

Few months later, my mother was expecting her first baby. And that was the moment when every senior officer's wife would guide her on do's and dont's. She enjoyed every moment of pampering. My father was happy on knowing the fact that soon he is going to be THE COOLEST DAD.

And viola it was December 29th I was born to them. Then few years later my father got transferred to a garden in Chabua. I was 4 then.

My parents then enrolled me in Montfort School, Chabua where my mother worked as a teacher. And then again on cold November night my dad got transferred to Duarmara Tea Estate which was almost a jungle. So naturally I felt like Mowgli seeing tigers, elephants and other wild animals. It was then they decided I should be put to a boarding school because that was the option only left.

So I went to Delhi Public School, a school which had changed my life for many good and bad reasons. Way back in 90's sending your child to a boarding school was the only option left because of security reasons and lack of good schools in the town.

12 years passed by I grew up to be a young, dynamic and independent lady. Just like my mother, I learned the art which she did as a young bride. Our Bawarchi (cook) was the main reason why I loved cooking, because each day he would teach me something new. We had a bawarchi called Philip who was my first 'official cook guru'. Unfortunateley we lost him few years back. 

Holidays mean having a good time with family within the garden and then having endless number of pets to play with. Chasing chickens, ducks, Feeding the cows and playing with the dogs, endless chit chat with the domestic help and never the less plucking fresh herbs and vegetables from our very own kitchen garden.

Slowly and gradually life started passing by with my parents becoming old and I started growing up. Now what do we say about a life which don't have ups and downs.

In the year 2012, my father suffered a paralysis attack which had changed our life forever. Never did any one in the tea fraternity expected Mr. Chanda to fall sick in such a manner. Well, we can not stop destiny from playing its game. But, this time it was this courageous lady, my mother along with few uncle and aunties who stood by my dad. And, that made me realized the importance of family. My Uncle flew all the way from Delhi taking a leave for few days to be with his older brother. Such an impact tea fraternity had on my life. And that is one main reason why I enjoy every moment of being a planter's child.

Daddy officially retired on April 13 and is thus known as Mr. Surojit Chanda, Retd. Tea Planter. Even the word retirement means a lot to us. It meant that now life is going to be completely different for us.

Finally before I stop writing my story, I would thank each and everyone who made our stay in Tea for over 30 years so special. We Chandas' would always remember for all the good that you have done to us. Thank you!
Don't forget to share with your friends and colleagues

Facebook Twitter Google Digg StumbleUpon Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest buffer
You can leave your comments below, in the Comment Section. We like to have a healthy debate here. Please avoid profanity, personal attacks and rouse racial and religious sensitivity. The views of the commentators are not shared by Both Coin. The bottomline is, comment sensibly with relevance to the article.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 

SOCIAL

SEARCH HERE